One of world cinema’s most dynamic and highly regarded auteurs, Hou Hsiao-hsien has influenced entire generations of filmmakers.
CUTE GIRL (1980)
A young bride-to-be falls for a laid-back land surveyor whilst visiting her family in the countryside. Conceived as a commercial vehicle for popular Hong Kong singer Kenny Bee, this romantic comedy was Hou Hsiao-hsien’s debut feature.
THE GREEN GRASS OF HOME (1982)
A substitute teacher (again played by Kenny Bee) moves to a remote village, where he falls in love with another teacher at the local school.
THE BOYS FROM FENGKUEI (1983)
Three young men leave their fishing village for the city to look for work, where they face some harsh realities about growing up. The film which established Hou Hsiao-hsien as a leading figure of the Taiwanese New Wave, THE BOYS FROM FENGKUEI was rapturously received in Europe and is often considered the director’s first mature masterwork.
Director: Hou Hsiao-hsien
Stars: Kenny Bee, Feng Fei-Fei
Runtime: 282 mins
- Limited Edition O-Card (First print run only)
- 1080p presentations of all three films, across two Blu-ray discs
- Uncompressed LPCM audio on all three films
- Optional English subtitles
- Video essays on all three films by Adrian Martin and Cristina Álvarez López
- A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp.